Re: [Hampshire] Deaf LUG

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Deaf LUG
Hi Fintan,

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Fintan Gaughan wrote:

> I am about to start a Deaf Lug and reason for that is I get lots of
> emails regarding Linux.

Personally I think that's a really good idea. I'm sure that there will
be many deaf people who are interested, though it will take a while to
build up.

Hampshire is a small part of the English-speaking world, but we have
many active members.

Deaf is a small part of the Engl-ish speaking world (as also it blind,
of course).

You will need to make sure people can find your LUG, so making sure it
appears on Google, etc., is vital. Make sure you use good keywords and
description text in tany web pages and tell Google about it yourself
(don't try to save time by using the "helpful" auto-registration
services, they're mostly spam generatiors, IMHO.

> Deaf people who brought up in BSL (British Sign Language) so English
> is not our first language.

Something we so easily forget, overlook, or fail to understand, I think.

Best of luck. I _suspect_ you'll be surprised at the uptake.

Gordon.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.