Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up

Author: Rob
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up
Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> your set up.
>

> what's your set up at home? do you have a mail server website server?
> if so what's distro?

I run the following:-
an old rackmount 486 as the router/firewall port forward machine
updating the current IP address to my dyndns accounts - running IP Cop

a rackmount dual P233 box running Apache/mySQL/PHP etc..for website,FTP
so the sites can be updated by the owners and file & print services
internally to the LAN -running Slackware

an old p133 running 2k - for my "grass cam", which is now kind of
redundant now it has grown and the webcam seems to freak out every
couple of hours needing a kick (cheap modern USB replacement for my now
defunct Philips vesta pro)

an old P133 running Slackware as the mail server
running fetchmail (to gather mail from other random accounts) and
postfix to do smtp etc
I tend to use IMAP for mail so I could use any PC internally to
read/create mail
Was going to try out squirrelmail for webpage mail access, but not got
round to it yet

Just pointed any requests for the dyndns account mail on port 25 to the
mail server and paranoidly kept an eye on the logs :-)
always check after configuring it that your not going to be an open relay!

I use http://www.abuse.net/relay.html
I do still check it from time to time

My dyndns account MX JFW by ticking the MX? check box ;-)

No backup MX setup, If the lights stop blinking on the cable modem I
guess I could end up being unpopular with busy lists, but so far so good

Internally I am constantly being nagged about the amount of PC's
scattered about the place, the 42U rack cabinet helped with the fan
noise and compacted the "always on" boxen to a neat vertical stack

Regards
Rob