Re: [Hampshire] Talks for April - a plea

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Talks for April - a plea

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5722a100.hantslug.org.uk.15687': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Mar 27 17:09:42 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 10:00:12AM +0100, john lewis wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 07:02:03 +0100
> Tony Whitmore <tony@???> wrote:
> >Either that or install a distro with newer packages.
>
> Ignore this remark!!

Yes feel free to ignore it if you are such a debian fanboy that the
thought of trying some other distirbution is anathema to you.

> If you don't want to risk the upgrade path then using a backport
> version of openoffice is the solution

Unfortunately backports and etch are both less reliable than just
using a stable release of Ubuntu; backports are not official debian
packages and use of them can and does cause problems. I say this as
someone who uses debian extensively and uses backports when I have
to. OOo is a big package and is something I would think long and
hard before installing from backports. Personally I prefer to just
use Ubuntu on my laptop.

Yes I am aware that we have had this thread recently and you are
happy using Debian stable everywhere and need no more and tried
Ubuntu and didn't like it etc etc. However you are not every user
and I would suggest that the average user when confronted with
neeing to use a more up to date version of a large package like OOo
would be foolish to not at least consider giving Ubuntu a try.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB

My words are my own and do not represent Jacqui Caren.