Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu rtc on UTC?

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu rtc on UTC?
On Sun, 25 Mar 2007, Nick Chalk wrote:

> Gordon Scott <gordon@???> wrote:
> > Even that alone didn't fix it .. I also had to
> > do some messing about with hwclock's --systohc
> > and --hctosys options to get everything
> > unanimously to agree
>
> My approach - on all systems - is:
>
>    - Set correct timezone
>    - Set correct local time and date with "date"
>    - Re-program the RTC with
>         hwclock --systohc --utc
>    - Set up NTP.
>    - Instruct system to save system time to RTC on
>      shutdown.

That's pretty much what I ended up doing. Timezone was OK, but It seems
that setting the hardware clock alone using --set was not sufficient,
presumably something somewhere was also doing that --systohc on my
bahalf without asking. With hwclock not reporting the hw-clock's real
time, I was fooled into thinking the problem was somewhere else than it
was.

Mow if it had just installed with whclock --utc in the first place....

Ho Hum. Aren't computers sometimes an amazing waste of human resource.

Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.