Re: [Hampshire] Linux UserNeeds Help - £50 - Cash Donation t…

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux UserNeeds Help - £50 - Cash Donation to the User Group

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x571d0100.hantslug.org.uk.9893': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Apr 30 15:38:46 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 02:06:26PM +0100, Damian Lajos Brasher wrote:
> This is almost looking like a professional job - £50 to the LUG group is
> only worth doing if the volunteer is in need of experience or practice -
> the follow up (support needs) after a job like this is complete and the
> security risks are quite high to this volunteer, you do run a business -
> so if you want some guarantee of support then you are better off paying
> the full price. There are a number of small Linux consultancies that do
> just this kind of thing in Hampshire.
>
> Can anyone advise on the Wiki where Linux consultancies are listed?

There's a jobs page, but nothing where people pimp their services. For Ubuntu,
(which the OP says he's running) there's a market place with companies who
will offer commercial support:

http://www.ubuntu.com/support/commercial/marketplace/europe

> If you had the time to build this server then the LUG list is a good
> place to ask for advice.

Yes, there's an endless source of advice here! Also, bringing the box along to
a LUG meeting would be a good way of getting hands-on support for getting it
all up and running.

There are a few people on this list who will offer commercial support, but I'm
not sure how many will do everything in the list for £50 that goes to the LUG
anyway! But I might be wrong!

Tony