Re: [Hampshire] Linux User Needs Help- £50 - Cash Donation t…

Author: richard brooks
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] Linux UserNeeds Help - £50 - Cash Donation to the User Group
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux User Needs Help- £50 - Cash Donation to the User Group
Thanks to all who have helped with advice to my original query (SEE BELOW)
- so far the votes are in for ClarkConnect as the best disto to use - OK -
here is my idea - i am new to Linux but i have managed to load up Edgy and
play with it, etc ... i will create a Virgins Linux Guide using photos and
screen shots and i will ask a series of really stupid basic questions here
on the users group - i hope you will be able to answer these - i will then
bundle these up into a blog which can be used for any other new idiots just
like me - obviously i will need support and advice from the group - i will
still pay my £50 user group donation as well for the email advice - if a
couple of you say YES - then i will start the process - comments and
commitments of support please - regards Richard

Hi i live in Winchester and want to run an old Dell server box as my home
Linux Server - we have 384 RAm inside and a P3 of some speed or another -
anyway it is enough for my needs - i have also installed 2 x 250GB hard
drives in Master / Slave configuration - (not the most PC term that is it?)
- anyway - and i have 2 x NICs installed to create a DMZ across the server.
We already have a wireless ADSL router installed at home and i can request a
static IP address from my ISP although dont use one currently.

What i want:

1. to have the 2 x drives running a RAID 1 set up
2. to use the Linux server to authenticate access to and from the LAN and
WAN - basically a Firewall
3. To be able to access the server from my holidays and travels
4. To be able to host a small non commercial family web site and blog +
accept pictures that we want to show friend and family, plus i would like to
be able to use my mobile windows PDA, take a photo and then enter the home
LAN via WIFI router and upload photos to family web page, and do the same
when on my travels.
5. To access the network in the home using windows or mac via Cable of WIFI
6. To only connect to the server once it is running via VNC or similar
terminal emulator - this box is going into a cupboard under the stairs and
will not be used as a terminal, only as a server
7. When i do access, to have a GUI GNOME or KDI installed so i dont have to
learn Linux scripts
8. To map drive space so i can use this to protect my PC based work files
and to have a partition for each member of the family for their needs