Re: [Hampshire] Ruby on Rails communities in the UK

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ruby on Rails communities in the UK
Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 02:18:26PM +0000, Simon Capstick wrote:
>> Tony Whitmore wrote:
>>> Can anyone recommend helpful community resources for people learning Ruby
>>> on Rails here in the UK? I'm thinking IRC channels, fora, etc.
>
> http://rubyforums.com/ is the only site I've ever used in addition
> to the Agil Web Development with Rails book. (And a copy of
> Programming Ruby.)
>
>> I'm just starting to look at Ruby on Rails myself (between other
>> duties). Maybe we could have a RoR community of two on Hantslug ;-)
>
> Could be fun! I'm slowly getting the hang of rails development
> although I have only written one application which is in serious
> use.
>
> Ruby the language, forgetting about rails for a moment, is very
> cool though. And I say that as a long-time Perl lover.
>
> Steve

I've only just started on the Agile Web Dev. book. I'm starting to
realise that maybe I should learn Ruby at the same time ;-)

I have several apps I want to write for internal use but for my first
project (to be GPL'ed) I want to create a simple web interface to allow
people to enable an auto-responder and/or email forwarding on an Exim4
server. It will automagically fiddle with a user's .forward Exim filter
file.

Simon