Re: [Hampshire] Ruby on Rails communities in the UK

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ruby on Rails communities in the UK

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x570a3100.hantslug.org.uk.17716': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu May 3 19:21:32 2007 BST
gpg: using RSA key ED1319F325A97448
Simon Capstick wrote:

> I've only just started on the Agile Web Dev. book. I'm starting to
> realise that maybe I should learn Ruby at the same time ;-)

Well, I'm in the same boat. I've ordered O'Reilly's latest book which
is designed for people moving from other languages like PHP who are
learning Ruby (not just Rails). It's not arrived yet but I hope it will
help.

> I have several apps I want to write for internal use but for my first
> project (to be GPL'ed) I want to create a simple web interface to allow
> people to enable an auto-responder and/or email forwarding on an Exim4
> server. It will automagically fiddle with a user's .forward Exim filter
> file.

Perhaps I'm being too ambitious with my project - basically I'm trying
to re-impliment an existing PHP project of mine in Ruby. Not all in one
go, but it's still a big task.

Tony