Re: [Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux

Author: Adam Cripps
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux
On 7/9/07, Dr Adam J Trickett <adam.trickett@???> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently while walking above Glen Coe in Scotland we had a problem
> with terrible visibility (under 50m) and could not position our
> selves on the map. Thankfully we ran into two other walkers doing our
> walk in reverse and were able to get an exact fix.
>
> On returning I thought having a GPS unit would have helped us
> under those conditions - we knew we were in one of two locations,
> but had no way of knowing which - until the cloud lifted.
>
> You can buy a cheap Garmin eTrex Summit from Amazon for £105 which
> seems to cover the basics.
>
> I don't go walking every week so I don't need a fancy GPS, just
> UK Ordnance Survey grid references. If I do want to link it to
> a computer I don't have Windows anymore, so I'd need something
> that speaks Linux.
>
> Any suggestions?

I have the etrex yellow that works with gpsbabel (on command line). It
can upload/download tracks and waypoints to .gpx files, with gpsbabel
handling the conversion nicely.

Last time I looked the basic etrex retailed for about £65, and would
help you in the situation you described. It draws a track of where you
have been and then you follow that back.

Do Ordnance survey grid references begin with SU? I'm not sure if the
etrex can do this - will check when I get home tonight, unless someone
gives the definitive guide before then.

Adam
--
http://www.monkeez.org