Re: [Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux
> >On returning I thought having a GPS unit would have helped us
> >under those conditions - we knew we were in one of two locations,
> >but had no way of knowing which - until the cloud lifted.
> >
> >You can buy a cheap Garmin eTrex Summit from Amazon for ?105 which
> >seems to cover the basics.
> >
> >I don't go walking every week so I don't need a fancy GPS, just
> >UK Ordnance Survey grid references. If I do want to link it to
> >a computer I don't have Windows anymore, so I'd need something
> >that speaks Linux.
> >
> >Any suggestions?
> >

> I have the etrex yellow that works with gpsbabel (on command line). It
> can upload/download tracks and waypoints to .gpx files, with gpsbabel
> handling the conversion nicely.

Nice to know.

> Last time I looked the basic etrex retailed for about ?65, and would
> help you in the situation you described. It draws a track of where you
> have been and then you follow that back.
>
> Do Ordnance survey grid references begin with SU? I'm not sure if the
> etrex can do this - will check when I get home tonight, unless someone
> gives the definitive guide before then.

OS Grid references consist of two letters e.g. SU followed by an even number
of digits, more digits means a smaller box on the grid is referenced. For
walking 6-figure references are good enough for most purposes in the UK.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

"We must get users past their misunderstandings of uptime. A reboot
doesn't mean that anything broke, there is no hardware or software
corrective action taken, so there wasn't any real downtime."
-- overheard in an MS strategy meeting