Re: [Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux

Author: alan c
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux
Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently while walking above Glen Coe in Scotland we had a problem
> with terrible visibility (under 50m) and could not position our
> selves on the map. Thankfully we ran into two other walkers doing our
> walk in reverse and were able to get an exact fix.
>
> On returning I thought having a GPS unit would have helped us
> under those conditions - we knew we were in one of two locations,
> but had no way of knowing which - until the cloud lifted.

I use a gps extensively in our travels in the motorhome. I notice that
under some conditons of rain and cloud, it very easily looses signal.
If my life depended on it I would do some good research about signal
attenuation in my (worst) conditions.

I liked the sound of
http://www.gpsdrive.de/index.shtml
although it is geared I think for roads, but I have not used it yet.
Our unit is a standalone unit for motoring, and we did not even read
the manual for about a year, it just worked. Mostly.

--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391