Re: [Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] GPS for walking that talks to Linux
On Mon July 9 2007 19:24, alan c wrote:
<snip>

> I use a gps extensively in our travels in the motorhome. I notice that
> under some conditons of rain and cloud, it very easily looses signal.
> If my life depended on it I would do some good research about signal
> attenuation in my (worst) conditions.
>
> I liked the sound of
> http://www.gpsdrive.de/index.shtml
> although it is geared I think for roads, but I have not used it yet.
> Our unit is a standalone unit for motoring, and we did not even read
> the manual for about a year, it just worked. Mostly.
>
> --
> alan cocks
> Kubuntu user#10391

I accept this a little off topic from the original topic, but a couple of
weeks ago some friends of mine purchased 4 new garmin GPS units for a 24hr
endurance buggy race at Hoylake (Merseyside coast).

Each buggy was to have a pair of GPS to measure the distance travelled then at
the end of each run the mileage would be averaged and that was the milage
they covered on that run. Well all four failed, one failed to work out of the
box, the other 3 kept shutting down or resetting themselves.

So as Alan says make sure they will work when you most need them.

Tim