Re: [Hampshire] Request for email users...

Author: Gordon Scott
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Request for email users...
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Vic wrote:

> Running PCM[1] over RTP (which is what eats the bandwidth) takes about
> 80Kb/s in each direction (it's the upstream that gets you on ADSL).
>
> If you run GSM or some such, it's half that. My favourite codec
> quality-wise is ILBC (which sounds just lovely) - but that is extremely
> CPU-intensive.
>
> And if you really want to squeeze the bandwidth, use G.723. 5.3Kbps![2].
>
> But what you need in any event is a low-latency connection; I've a nasty
> feeling that certain telcos are going to be having mysterious problems
> with certain packet types as their revenues from calls drop off...
>
> Vic.

The weirdest thing about this is that GSM aleeady uses some _really_
powerful speech compression and runs at around 2kbps. Why should anyone
want to use more bandwidth to achieve essentially the same end?

I can only suspect that the telephone companies think they're going to
gain from this by charging for bandwidth and hoping nobofy realises?
Or maybe they're gaining because you pay for an additional service?

Odd.

G.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.