Re: [Hampshire] Samba share on a wireless network

Author: Adam Cripps
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samba share on a wireless network
On 8/8/07, Brian Chivers <brian@???> wrote:
> Adam Cripps wrote:
> > Calling all samba gurus - I have a machine running Samba on my main
> > network and want to make shares available on my wireless network.
> > However, it seems that my wireless router has a problem with these
> > shares.

<snip>
> > (Apologies if the text representation gets mangled).
> >
> > Basically, the machines on the 192.168.1.* network can mount the samba
> > shares normally, but the laptops in the 192.168.11.* network cannot.
> >
> > I have placed the following line in my smb.conf file:
> >
> > hosts allow = 127.0.0.1, 192.168.
> >
> > but I think this is only half of the story as I have to put in an
> > interfaces config line.
> > I've read documentation, but it seems to be based around to separate
> > networks and I'm not sure what to do with the interfaces part.
> >
> > Can anyone advise what else I need to add to the smb.conf file to make
> > the shares accessible from the wireless network? Ideally, I'd like to
> > place this in [globals] as I will be adding a printer later on.
> >
> > A full copy of the smb.conf file can be seen at:
> > http://www.monkeez.org/linux/smb.conf.txt
> >
> > TIA
> > Adam
>
> The quick and dirty way is to change your subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 on your devices and this will
> allow the 192.168.1.x to talk to 192.168.11.x without worrying about routing tables etc
>
> Yes I know that this is an illegal subnet mask but it works, we do this in college to allow us to
> have a separate subnet for each room of machines. We have servers on 192.168.0.x, domain admins on
> 192.168.200.x, printers on 192.168.100.x and so on.
>
> It also makes it quite easy to setup egress rules on firewalls etc.

I've configured both ADSL router and wireless router to have a mask of
255.255.0.0 and the machines reflect this once they have acquired an
IP address from DHCP:

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:15:58:22:07:4D
          inet addr:192.168.1.6  Bcast:192.168.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1754135 (1.6 MiB)  TX bytes:1245174 (1.1 MiB)
          Interrupt:17 Base address:0x6000

but they still don't talk to each other.

The wireless has similar output (same mask) as above but with IP
address 192.168.11.2.

I also have a static and dynamic routing table in my ADSL router's
config options - would setting this up help the two networks talk
properly to each other? If so, how might I go about it?

TIA
Adam
--
http://www.monkeez.org