Re: [Hampshire] Samba share on a wireless network

Author: Steve Kirk
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samba share on a wireless network
On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 03:51:21PM +0100, Brian Chivers wrote:
> Adam Cripps wrote:
> >Calling all samba gurus - I have a machine running Samba on my main

[snip]

> The quick and dirty way is to change your subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 on
> your devices and this will allow the 192.168.1.x to talk to 192.168.11.x
> without worrying about routing tables etc
>
> Yes I know that this is an illegal subnet mask but it works, we do this in
> college to allow us to have a separate subnet for each room of machines. We
> have servers on 192.168.0.x, domain admins on 192.168.200.x, printers on
> 192.168.100.x and so on.
>
> It also makes it quite easy to setup egress rules on firewalls etc.

I could be missing something here, but I can't see anything "illegal"
about this subnet mask.

As long as you configure you devices correctly, using a /16 subnet mask
should be fine. I'm not sure I'd recommend this model though as it
starts creating large broadcast domains and, IMHO, makes it waaay to
easy for devices to talk to eachother unrestricted.

Cheers,
Steve