Re: [Hampshire] Samba share on a wireless network

Author: Adam Cripps
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samba share on a wireless network
On 8/7/07, Jacqui caren <jacqui.caren@???> wrote:
> Adam Cripps wrote:

<snip>

> What do you get in the logfile?

>From the client end I get:

adam@squeak:~$ smbclient -L //192.168.1.7/public -U adam
timeout connecting to 192.168.1.7:445
timeout connecting to 192.168.1.7:139
Error connecting to 192.168.1.7 (Operation already in progress)
Connection to 192.168.1.7 failed

> what does "netstat -rn" show

adam@squeak:~$ netstat -rn
Kernel IP routeing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
192.168.11.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 ra0
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U         0 0          0 ra0
0.0.0.0         192.168.11.1    0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 ra0

> For instance do you have a line similar to the below
>
> /sbin/route add -net 192.168.11.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.3
>
> No - if like my home system samba is running of a firewall box and
> you wish to NOT offer SMB services on certain interfaces THEN you
> need to configure intefaces. My (new) firewallhas 4 NIC's but
> thankfully no longer runs samba. My old box runs samba and offers
> shares to two of the three interfaces.

I kind of knew this but I'm not sure what format is accepted for
interfaces, or what I should really put here for that matter. I'm
suffering from Newbie-itus. :-)

> > Can anyone advise what else I need to add to the smb.conf file to make
> > the shares accessible from the wireless network? Ideally, I'd like to
> > place this in [globals] as I will be adding a printer later on.
>
> Fist does ping and traceroute (tracert under windows) work.
> If not then your routing is the issue.

Ping and tracepath reach the destination samba machine. traceroute6
says that the host is unknown, but this is the same as the other
192.168.1.6 machine that accepts the samba share.

> if it does then send a snippet of the log file.

I don't think the samba machine is keeping a log of my attempted
connection as there is no similar log file for this machine (other log
files exist for the 192.168.1.6 machine - log.192.168.1.6). Also,
there doesn't seem to be any pertinent log files on the client machine
that I can find, so this is of little help.

> > A full copy of the smb.conf file can be seen at:
> > http://www.monkeez.org/linux/smb.conf.txt
>
> Could not see anything wrong.

TIA
Adam