Re: [Hampshire] Samba share on a wireless network

Author: Adam Cripps
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Samba share on a wireless network
On 8/8/07, Brian Chivers <brian@???> wrote:
> Adam Cripps wrote:
> > Can anyone advise what else I need to add to the smb.conf file to make
> > the shares accessible from the wireless network? Ideally, I'd like to
> > place this in [globals] as I will be adding a printer later on.
> >
> > A full copy of the smb.conf file can be seen at:
> > http://www.monkeez.org/linux/smb.conf.txt
> >
> > TIA
> > Adam
>
> The quick and dirty way is to change your subnet mask to 255.255.0.0 on your devices and this will
> allow the 192.168.1.x to talk to 192.168.11.x without worrying about routing tables etc
>
> Yes I know that this is an illegal subnet mask but it works, we do this in college to allow us to
> have a separate subnet for each room of machines. We have servers on 192.168.0.x, domain admins on
> 192.168.200.x, printers on 192.168.100.x and so on.
>
> It also makes it quite easy to setup egress rules on firewalls etc.
>
> Brian

Many thanks Brian - how might I change the subnet mask on all the devices?

I've researched the wireless router today (192.168.11.0) and it is
logging that it is rejecting requests from one of the laptops to the
samba machine, but the router doesn't even have a firewall (or
according to the documentation and config screens), so I am still a
little puzzled by this one.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to networking, and even decided to
use the long summer holiday to go to the library today and try and get
a grip on networking with some books. How much progress I'll make is
still very much up in the air.

TIA
Adam
--