Re: [Hampshire] Cups problem.

Author: Adam Cripps
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cups problem.
On 8/13/07, Clive Woodfine <clivewoodfine@???> wrote:
> I have a problem I have unable to solve.
>
> I have a printer on a server running ClarkConnect. My Desktop box and
> new laptop print from it okay but my old laptop does not. This is
> after I have installed Xubuntu 6.06. It did work previously with
> Ubuntu 6.06.
>
> I have setup Xubuntu using the Cups web interface but when I try to
> print the printer runs but only prints the following:-
>
> -12345X@PLJ ENTER LANGUAGE=PCL3
> 17H10M ....... more here
>
> Googleing tells me that PJL is Printer Job Language and PCL3 is a
> ghostscript output module for printers understanding Hewlett-Packard's
> Printer Command Language. When the printer is connected directly to
> the parallel port of the laptop it works perfectly.
>
> Any pointers please.
> --
> Clive Woodfine

I'm not sure how ClarkConnect manages the printer or if my response is
really pertinent to your problem, but felt the need to respond as I've
been through the pain of setting up printing on xubuntu recently.

If it is manged through cups, then I recently set up a printer using
cups on my xubuntu laptop. I didn't use the Cups web interface on the
laptop, but rather the config tool found on the Applications menu.
Remote Cups printers are added through the 'Other' option (at first, I
tried ipp) and then supplying the ip address in the format of
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:631/printers/PrinterName. You obviously have to
choose the make and model of the printer, and then the driver - in my
case I chose hpijs (IIRC) which was recommended for my printer.

HTH
Adam
--
http://www.monkeez.org