Re: [Hampshire] Ethernet over mains

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ethernet over mains
On Wednesday 15 Aug 2007 22:51, Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 August 2007 12:22, Simon Capstick wrote:
> > If you don't change the passwords then supposedly there's the
> > possibility that someone could join your network with a rogue unit.
> > Does anyone know if this is physically possible from an adjacent
> > property?
>
> I believe that the electricity meter (or some other gadget where the
> supply comes into the house) is supposed to filter the signal, so it
> shouldn't travel between properties, though it may be different if
> you're in a flat.
>
> I did look this up when I first got mine, though can't remember the
> exact details now.

Yes, that is what the chap at Solwise technical support (excellent, and v.
Linux-friendly) told me. He said that the units could be anywhere, so long
as they were on the same meter. But would not cross to another meter.

He himself has one of the homeplug wireless devices plugged in to the far end
of his house because his wife's office is an extension (as in extension to
the building) and on a different meter, and it is too far, through too many
obstacles, for a wireless signal from teh router in his office. He said that
he had been intending to hard-wire it, but so far the cat5e cable has reached
the landing from his office and is sitting coiled up there, so he set the
Homeplug thing up pro tem, but it is working so well that he can't see
himself getting round to finishing laying the cat5e cable.

Lisi