Re: [Hampshire] Cheap Laptop

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cheap Laptop
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:31:12 -0400 (EDT)
Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:

> However there are some reasonable deals available on laptops these
> days, both second hand and on the cheaper brands new machines. What
> sort of budget does your daughter have in mind?

I'd guess no more than £500 judging by her comments in PCWorld last
week. Primary use would be email and a web browser to access her
on-line bank account. She used Opera whilst here and did whatever
she needs to do monthly to keep the account open or summat.

I think a second-hand Thinkpad would be perfect for her as most of
the laptops she 'tried out' in PCWorld got the thumbs down due to
'keyboard feel' . I tend to agree that most of the cheap end
laptops have a very flimsy feel to them, not just the keyboard
but the whole construction as compared to my TP600e.

Her number one priority is renovating her bathroom, the new
suite is in place and now she has to get walls tiled and floor
covered. Then she wants to think about updating the kitchen but
knows this is going to cost several* thousands upwards.

So a computer isn't an essential item at the moment more "it
would be nice to have one"

* where several = 2-3

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package