Re: [Hampshire] Cheap Laptop

Author: Graeme Hilton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cheap Laptop
john lewis wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 19:31:12 -0400 (EDT)
> Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:
>
>> However there are some reasonable deals available on laptops these
>> days, both second hand and on the cheaper brands new machines. What
>> sort of budget does your daughter have in mind?
>
> I'd guess no more than £500 judging by her comments in PCWorld last
> week. Primary use would be email and a web browser to access her
> on-line bank account. She used Opera whilst here and did whatever
> she needs to do monthly to keep the account open or summat.
>
> I think a second-hand Thinkpad would be perfect for her as most of
> the laptops she 'tried out' in PCWorld got the thumbs down due to
> 'keyboard feel' . I tend to agree that most of the cheap end
> laptops have a very flimsy feel to them, not just the keyboard
> but the whole construction as compared to my TP600e.

If she wants to try Ubuntu then Dell have the Inspiron 6400, starting at
£329 (although £420 or thereabouts gets you a better spec).

http://www.dell.co.uk/ubuntu

I have no idea on the keyboard feel or other aspects of the build
quality of this particular model, but I've had an Inspiron 5150 for over
three years and it's still in pretty good condition and the keyboard
feels pretty good.

Hope this helps.