Re: [Hampshire] VM

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] VM

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x581e3100.hantslug.org.uk.23005': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Aug 30 12:35:27 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 11:30:05AM +0100, Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Thursday 30 August 2007 10:57:47 Tony Whitmore wrote:
> > I don't know of any virtualisation software than can boot a Windows
> > partition that is also used to boot from directly.
> >
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-246371-highlight-ntfs vmware.html

Cool so someone has got it working. However, the following 3 pages of people
with serious errors and blue screens should be a warning!

> In VMWare server, you simply attach the USB device to the hosted
> environment by selecting it from a menu. Easy (it works with USB
> dongles for licensed software at any rate).

Not all devices are supported by all products (even within the VMWare range -
ESX doesn't support USB devices for example). Some devices (like TomToms) are
detected as mass storage only, not as devices usable by the TomTom software.

Tony