Re: [Hampshire] VM

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] VM

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57e49100.hantslug.org.uk.20713': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Aug 30 10:57:47 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 09:48:53AM +0100, John Taylor wrote:
> Thanks to everyone but you all work on the assumption that I understand
> what *you *are talking about - how many types of VM are there?

Adrian's talk in the links I posted yesterday covers many of the different
types of virtualisation, including how they work.

> I went to
> the install "bit" and asked about VM and downloaded what I was
> given......so lets start again from a different perspective .

Really, the answers to your questions will depend heavily on the
virtualisation technology you installed. I think Kubuntu has Xen packaged,
along with UML and Qemu. Do any of those ring a bell?

> I have MS Vista partitioned away safely but as I use Kubuntu more and
> more I would like to switch between the two systems at the click of the
> mouse so I can use Adobe, my printer and scanner and some medical
> software that wont work in any other environment

If you have VT support on your CPU, then Xen is an option, but the version of
Xen in the current (K)Ubuntu releases isn't new enough. You'll have to wait
for the next release of (K)Ubuntu to run Windows alongside Linux using Xen.
(I'm also not 100% sure that Vista is supported yet.) Other "user space"
options like Virtualbox or Qemu are more likely to give you success in the
short term.

I don't know of any virtualisation software than can boot a Windows partition
that is also used to boot from directly. It may be possible if your hardware
is very close to that offered within the virtual environment, but I've never
seen this work. You will almost certainly need to create a dedicated Windows
installation for use within your virtualised environment. Additionally, using
USB periperhals with virtualisation software can be difficult, which might
cause problems with your scanner, printer and other hardware.

Out of interest what model are your printer and scanner? There are relatively
few printers that can't be made to work with Linux, and I've found that
support for quite a few scanners is disabled by default and can spring into
life with a couple of tweaks.

If you're able to make the next LUG meeting I'd be happy to talk through your
virtualisation options with you.

Tony