Re: [Hampshire] dbmail

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] dbmail
On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 23:37:01 +0100, james.dutton@??? said:

> It is then easier to do searches and such like.

Easier? If you and any users are happy to craft SQL to carry out
searches then it may offer more flexible or faster searching depending on
which MUA you use, but I'd hesitate to describe that as easier. That also
divorces the search function from the MUA, which may or may not be a
concern.

> instead of using the ancient and slow protocols like imap.

Your MUAs will still be using IMAP or POP3 to access mail.

If your goals are easier searching and a web interface that is faster
than, say, Squirrelmail and the Dovecot IMAP server, I think you'll be
disappointed. All that said, I'd be interested to hear of your experiences
in practice.

--
Keith Edmunds

|  Tiger Computing Ltd  |  Helping businesses make the most of Linux  |
|  "The Linux Company"  |       http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk      |