Re: [Hampshire] dbmail

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] dbmail

On Tue, September 4, 2007 23:37, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone had any experience with the following:
> http://www.dbmail.org/index.php?page=overview
>
> I like the idea of using a database for my email storage.
> It is then easier to do searches and such like.
> I could also add a web interface to interface directly to the database
> instead of using the ancient and slow protocols like imap.

Is IMAP slow? I mean, is there something about the protocol
that forces all implementations to be slow?

There's no reason an IMAP server couldn't run on top of a
database (Lotus Notes or Exchange probably do something
similar, though possibly not with an SQL database).

> Any pro or cons?

You're going to need an IMAP front end to it anyway, so standard
mail clients can talk to it - unless you want to be locked into
a single mail client.

If you're going to write a webmail interface for it, then you
may be better off figuring out how to do a decent and fast
webmail interface to IMAP (at least in the sense of it being
of use to more people, if you just have an itch, then that
doesn't really matter).

Squirrelmail does the job, but I'd like something better.

--
Be seeing you,            Web: www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                    GTalk: sam@???