Re: [Hampshire] Giving podcasts a bad name

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Giving podcasts a bad name
** Samuel Penn <sam@???> [2007-09-24 17:20]:
> On Mon, September 24, 2007 17:01, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > For those who have listened to podcasts, and who want to actually listed
> > to this (it isn't that long, just feels it), is this typical of the
> > genre? Even if I was anti-Linux and pro-Windows I think I'd consider it
> > pretty poor at best!
>
> Haven't listened to it, so I don't know. I do tend to listen
> to podcasts whilst driving however (when you've got a 3hr drive,
> they're more interesting than music).
>
> Like anything, some are good, some aren't. Normally I listen
> to science related stuff, such as "Astronomy Cast" or "Skeptics
> Guide to the Universe". The "Irregular Podcast" is very funny
> (it's deliberately very bad).
>
> Others I listen to if they've got something specific to say.
> For example, AVForums is useful to me at the moment since I'm
> trying to decide what TV to buy next, and is quite professional.
>
> Then there's the Magnatune 'Podcasts' which are just music.
>
> It all depends on which ones you choose to listen to, but some
> are worth it.

** end quote [Samuel Penn]

Undoubtedly fair comment. I don't think I've listened to one before,
althoug I guess the LUG Radio counts, in which case I've listened to one
- although I pretty much tuned out as they were rambling on about life
recorders and I got bored. I must head back and see if another episode
has a more interesting subject!

This one caught my interest, firstly as I didn't spot it was a podcast
until I was there, and secondly because I've never heard of a Windows
(Vista or otherwise) zealot. Linux and Mac yes, and some people will
defend their choice of Windows to the hilt almost appearing to be trying
to justify why they've made such a poor choice, but not a zealot. I
didn't think Windows people got that way except in self defense. Perhaps
those that choose Vista feel so much out on a limb they have to
compensate - after all Micrsoft has even back tracked to allow people to
buy Vista and downgrade it so they actually install XP. I've not yet
actually met anyone who likes it, but then I've not yet met more than a
handful of people that have even tried it, or have the hardware capable
of running it properly!

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: