Re: [Hampshire] Sending SMS from a computer?

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sending SMS from a computer?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57b6a100.hantslug.org.uk.14612': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Sep 26 22:30:35 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 10:19:33PM +0100, Gordon Scott wrote:

> Maybe I'm cynical/paranoid, but I've always worried about how freebie
> SMS services make their living. OK, it _could_ be altruistic/benign, but
> I've always suspected they harvest 'phone numbers and content data.

So, the same way that google, facebook, etc. make their living? :)

> I'd be interested in whether my concerns are founded or if I really am
> just a worrier :-)

I think there is a level of concern, just as there should be a level
of concern about the services I mentioned above. Also that if you
pay for a service or do it yourself then you tend to have more
control and get better results.

> I tried to sell a mobile phone to an Indian call cemtre operator the
> other day. "Hello, my name is Steve" seemed to think I should buy one
> from him but not that he should buy one from me. He hung up eventually.
> It was actually quite good fun for a while :->

are your mobile phone providings 42 times cheapering? [1]

Cheers,
Andy

[1] http://youtube.com/watch?v=_ekIIvfyfD8