Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question

Author: Jack Knight (OSM EU)
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question
Chris Aitken wrote:

>>> I thought you said it had Windows Vista installed.
>>>
>> Arf! See? We're having fun already!
>>
>> I've never actually encountered Vista so that'll be interesting.
>> Obviously I have read all the reports about performance issues, etc., so
>> it may well have to go.
>>

> If you're not going to get a refund on the Windows license I'd be
> interested in you letting us know how good/bad Vista actually is.
> We'll probably look for a new latop about December, and it will
> undoubtedly come with Vista (though I'd prefer XP).
>
> Chris

My suggestion is to use the free VMWare converter
(http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/) to clone your Windoze
partition, back this up off machine somewhere then install Ubuntu and
run any 'doze applications under VMWare Server or VirtualBox (The latter
will run VMWare VM's as well as its own native formats and also V1.5
offers "seamless" mode out of box so you can run individual windows apps
as X-desktop windows. Oh, and it's quicker than VMWare too). I'm
currently writing this up as a HOWTO article.

jfk