Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Aitken" <cs.aitken@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Friday, September 28, 2007 9:09 AM

>> > I thought you said it had Windows Vista installed.
>>
>> Arf! See? We're having fun already!
>>
>> I've never actually encountered Vista so that'll be interesting.
>> Obviously I have read all the reports about performance issues, etc., so
>> it may well have to go.

It ain't good IMHO. I've had if for a couple of months with 2Gb of RAM and
a decent (can't remember now but it's modern) CPU. It has one (as far as
I'm concerned) brilliant feature which is Windows DVD maker. My praise
stems from it taking all the hassle out of codecs and just burns your video
file. Whether or not it's because I'd installed said codec or whatever I
don't know, but I got a lot of CBT sent to me in various formats and it's
now on DVD for ease of watching. No fuss, no bother - it just burned it -
job done.

However, that's the only good thing I've found with Vista thus far. Media
player crashes _every_ time I play with it, then insists on searching for a
solution, then tells me it's my graphics card drivers - nice when I'm trying
to play an mp3!!!

Flip3D and Aero look nice but they're just window dressing (no pun
intended). The one thing (though not technically Vista) I hate is the new
Office Suite - the new "ribbon" drives me nuts.

In fact Vista is now so bad that my chosen OS preference now is:
1) XP (I do have a lot of uni stuff to do using XP)
2) Ubuntu
3) Slack12
4) Mac
[daylight]