Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question

Author: Damian Brasher
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question

> Sean Gibbins wrote:
>> My brother-in-law has just bought one of these:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2oy85p
>>
>> Which basically equates to a 'FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO LI1705 1G' with the
>> following spec:*
>> *Processor speed: 1.73 GHz
>> Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core
>> Screen size: 15 inches
>> Storage (hard drive): 80 GB
>> Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
>> OS Windows Vista Home Basic
>>

>> So, the Friday fun queston is: do I trash a perfectly good OS* and
>> rebuild with Ubuntu** or leave well enough alone?
>
> I'm trying to think of something profound to say...
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> I really really like Berly on my Dell D620 - my wife said "it was a
> gimmick" after spending and hour giving her a demo - before her yawning
> got in the way, "for the enthusiastic" noooo - essential kit:)

I exaggerate:) - in fact I think my wife liked the Berly window manager
more than she let on - and could be a deciding factor for another Linux
desktop convert...

Well Vista is more broken at the moment that any Fedora distribution. XP
is fine - however your brother-in-law can take advantage of your Linux
knowledge so why not use Linux? It's all about support these days and the
cost of obtaining it. Linux sys admins can generally support more systems
that the equivalent Microsoft admin.

Damian

--
Damian Brasher