Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question
Sean Gibbins wrote:
> My brother-in-law has just bought one of these:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2oy85p
>
> Which basically equates to a 'FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO LI1705 1G' with the
> following spec:*
> *Processor speed: 1.73 GHz
> Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core
> Screen size: 15 inches
> Storage (hard drive): 80 GB
> Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
> OS Windows Vista Home Basic
>
> He has asked me to 'set it up' for him, which translated from the
> language of the Technophobe tribe (of which he was formerly a member)
> means 'make it connect to the Internet and print out my invoices'.
>
> Previously he has used Ubuntu and Windows 2000, eventually getting rid
> of the cobbled together and rather basic machine that I built for him on
> account of it being 'too big'. He has been a right pain in the arse of
> late bothering us to assist him with booking flights and doing his
> invoices, etc., and was encouraged to put £150 worth of Comet vouchers
> towards 'something smaller'! :o)
>
> So, the Friday fun queston is: do I trash a perfectly good OS* and
> rebuild with Ubuntu** or leave well enough alone?
>
> Sean
>
> * open to debate that one, I know
> ** I have yet to investigate if this model and the various components
> will play nice with Ubuntu

IME the problem with putting Linux onto laptops is getting all the extra
bits to work: will you be able to find drivers for the modem / wifi /
whatever else it's got. And does it matter if some of the extra buttons
(volume and brightness control for example) don't work?

cheers

Chris

--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???