Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question
On Friday 28 Sep 2007 08:45, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> My brother-in-law has just bought one of these:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2oy85p
>
> Which basically equates to a 'FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO LI1705 1G'

> He has asked me to 'set it up' for him, which translated from the
> language of the Technophobe tribe (of which he was formerly a member)
> means 'make it connect to the Internet and print out my invoices'.

> So, the Friday fun queston is: do I trash a perfectly good OS* and
> rebuild with Ubuntu** or leave well enough alone?

I have a golden rule. If I have to support a technophobe who is going to use
the computer for something crucial (e.g. printing invoices) and also for the
Internet, I do my best to have the person on Linux. You have control here.
Use Linux. Since he and you both know Ubuntu, then Ubuntu. After all, which
does he need more? A functioning usable computer, or a computer that has
lots of working bells and whistles, and is also full of viruses, trojans and
other malware?

My husband has on occasion downloaded viruses. I find these forlorn
little .exe files in his home directory. Since he is using Linux, that is as
far as they go, and they don't stay there for long.

My vote would definitely be for making your own life easier and installing
Ubuntu.

My 2p
Lisi