[Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire
CC:
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Friday Fun Question
My brother-in-law has just bought one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/2oy85p

Which basically equates to a 'FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO LI1705 1G' with the
following spec:*
*Processor speed: 1.73 GHz
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual Core
Screen size: 15 inches
Storage (hard drive): 80 GB
Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
OS Windows Vista Home Basic

He has asked me to 'set it up' for him, which translated from the
language of the Technophobe tribe (of which he was formerly a member)
means 'make it connect to the Internet and print out my invoices'.

Previously he has used Ubuntu and Windows 2000, eventually getting rid
of the cobbled together and rather basic machine that I built for him on
account of it being 'too big'. He has been a right pain in the arse of
late bothering us to assist him with booking flights and doing his
invoices, etc., and was encouraged to put £150 worth of Comet vouchers
towards 'something smaller'! :o)

So, the Friday fun queston is: do I trash a perfectly good OS* and
rebuild with Ubuntu** or leave well enough alone?

Sean

* open to debate that one, I know
** I have yet to investigate if this model and the various components
will play nice with Ubuntu