Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Digital cameras

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Digital cameras
** Stephen Davies <stephen.davies@???> [2007-10-05 07:05]:
> Paul,
> If you are at the meeting on Sat, come and have a chat about which
> Nikon DSLR might be suitable.
> Generally, Pro DSLR's use CF cards. You can buy a 4GB CF Card from
> 7DayShop.com for 17.99 (no VAT) so now the costs are pretty small.
> I have a D100 Body that I want to sell. It needs a service so it is
> going to be cheap. I also have the MB-100 Battery grip which I'll throw
> in for free and 2 or 3 batteries. There is only one thing wrong with it
> which I'll show you if you are interested. I could even be persuaded to
> include a few(3-4) smallish(512Mb) CF Cards it you want. I don't really
> use them now. I only use 2 or 4Gb Sandisk Extreme III or IV cards.
> I'll try to remember to bring it on Sat. If you want to bring a few
> lenses you can try it out. I have used it for 4 years (until I got a
> D200 a few months ago) and found it to be a very good camera. It WILL
> have more compatibility with your older lenses than a D40/D50 would ever
> have. I have used it with old Manual Lenses with ease.
> I also have a D70 Body and a 105mm Macro (AF F4) for sale. All in
> perfect working order in anyone is interested. The D70 is pretty
> redundant now that I have a D2X.

** end quote [Stephen Davies]

That makes another good reason for making it across. I'm hoping and
planning to be able to get the time to make it. I'm signed up to vote,
so hoping to aid making the meeting quorate (although I don't think it
is going to be the problem it was last year). I could also do with
making the key signing.

I'll be interested to have a chat, and sorely tempted I should think, in
one or other of your spare cameras - although somewhat strapped for
funds at the moment :( That does remind me what my objection was to the
D40(X) though. It lacks an internal focus drive motor and hence no
mechanical focus drive pin, so only supports the AF-S and AF-I lenses -
I think that rules out the lenses I have, although I'd have to check.
Ironically the D40(X) handle pre-AI lenses better than most of the
range, but since AI was introduced in 1977, and pre-AI lenses stopped
production in 1979, I doubt that will worry me. My lenses started with
my F301 back in, erm, 1985/6 or thereabouts. I still have my copy of
What Camera that reviewed it and the F501.

I guess it isn't too much of a hassle to use CF, and I do have multi
format card readers. I keep meaning to play with a CF to IDE adapter for
a Linux install.

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: