Re: [Hampshire] Laptop vs Australian climate

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laptop vs Australian climate
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 16:54:09 +1000, johnrhunt@??? said:

> 1. On my IBM R50e thinkpad, at what CPU and hard disk temperatures
> should I start to consider turning my laptop off or moving it
> somewhere cooler?

If you know exactly which model of CPU you have, the manufacturer websites
have specs that will tell you the operating temperature limits (but you'll
need to know EXACTLY which CPU it is).

> 2. Any suggestions of how I can keep my laptop cooler regardless of
> the surrounding temperature?

Are there any software or BIOS configurable fan settings? If so, turn them
to max.

> 3. Would buying a big fan for the room make much difference or just
> blow papers all over the place?

A fan will tend to minimise hotspots but is unlikely to make much
difference I expect.

> 4. A bit [OT], but can I stay in HantsLUG even though I'm all the way
> over here?

No. You're not even allowed to read postings, let alone write, unless you
both live and work in Hampshire and even then you have to be more then 1.5
nautical miles from the county boundary if you want to write to the
mailing list.

--
Keith Edmunds

|  Tiger Computing Ltd  |  Helping businesses make the most of Linux  |
|  "The Linux Company"  |       http://www.tiger-computing.co.uk      |