Re: [Hampshire] Laptop vs Australian climate

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laptop vs Australian climate
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 at 09:25:27AM +0100, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> * John Hunt (johnrhunt@???) wrote:
> >
> > As some of you may know, I recently emigrated to Australia (near
> > Gosford in NSW). Today it was about 33 degrees C outside, and probably
> > even hotter in my stuffy little home office.
> >
> The obvious suggestion would be Air Conditioning. A big fan will
> only stir the air. That said, I once worked at a place where we had
> a fan with a device on the front that consisted of a type of mesh
> that would have water dribbling down it. As the air passed through
> the wet mesh, the water would evaporate, and would reduce the air
> temperature by about five degrees. I would guess that this sort of
> system would work best if the humidity is low. Also, you don't want
> that too close to your computers because a little bit of water would
> spit out the front of it.

Room or ouse A/C is the obvious suggestion, but it's not cheap or that
friendly to the environment. You could investigate adding insulation to
the house to keep the heat from sunlight from getting in.

A swap cooler is a simple for of A/C but they only work when the humidity
is very low. Given you said it's a bit humid I doubt it would work.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced
    -- anon