Re: [Hampshire] Installing acroread and opera

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Installing acroread and opera
** john lewis <johnlewis@???> [2007-10-16 11:36]:
> Paul Tansom blogged about installing these two packages but I'd
> like to mention that these are, and have been for many months,
> available from the following archives. Nothing to do with u***** at
> all :-)
>
> # Opera
> deb http://deb.opera.com/opera sid non-free
>
> # Marillat Apps
> deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main
>
> Both sites have gpg signed packages and the Marillat one has its own
> key sig package for you to download - debian-multimedia-keyring.
>
> you can get mplayer from this site as well plus some codecs (I think).

** end quote [john lewis]

I was aware of the Opera archive, but last time I looked at it the
version in there was so old as to be useless. I've not checked back
since on the assumption that they had abandoned the idea.

Likewise with the Marillat one, I was aware, although this time I made
the decision to go straight to Adobe as I've not had that much
confidence with archives for proprietary software and/or ones outside
the main distribution. Much like with the Opera one I've often found
them to be several versions out of date. It took me a long while before
I succumbed to even using Debian backports!

Of course both these decisions were made for my Debian desktops, and
I've not really revisited since I've started making use of Ubuntu more.

Yes, apologies John, but I've got at least half a foot in the Ubuntu
camp now, probably more. The thin end of the wedge was battling to get
Debian cleanly installed onto a motherboard with a nVidia chipset on. I
could have done it with Debian, but the extra work of modifying boot
media to allow me to install straight to RAID on a pair of SATA drives
hanging off a nVidia chipset bus, and then rolling in the driver for the
nVidia NIC was just too much, and it was a cleaner job to go straight in
with the Ubuntu server CD (all this being on 64 bit as well). Then the
advantages of being able to provide a Ubuntu desktop to customers and
family cut in and I had to start using it myself to test things out. Now
I'm afraid I've 'signed the pledge'.

If it was just for my own personal desktop then I'd likely stick with
Debian since I've not yet managed to get my Ubuntu install configured as
nicely as my old Debian one, but I'm getting there.

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: