Re: [Hampshire] Installing acroread and opera

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Installing acroread and opera
** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2007-10-16 13:34]:
> John Lewis mailed about installing these to packages but I'd like to
> mention that these are, and have been for many months, available from
> the following archives. Nothing to do with d***** at all :-)
>
> # Opera, google earth, acroread, w32codecs and truckloads
> # more evil stuff
> deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ gutsy free non-free
>
> The site has gpg signed packages and full documentation on its use on
> the official u***** help site:-
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
>
> You can get mplayer from this site as well as some codecs (I know).

** end quote [Alan Pope]

Hmm, didn't know my blog entry would be so controversial ;)

One thing I have noticed with this is that with the vast amount of Linux
related information out there you can easily get overwhelmed with
irrelevant or out of date stuff.

For example, when looking for Adobe Reader/Acrobat for Ubuntu I the main
information I found was from 2005 (iirc) on the Ubuntu forums talking
about a repository (the Marillat one I think) that had version 7.x
available. Now I could have investigated further to see what version it
was currently at, but first I decided to check out the Adobe site to see
what the current version was, and there was the .deb file available to
quickly download and install.

There's tons out there, and for me I'm finding that there is a wealth of
hidden stuff relating to Ubuntu out there. For example, I only yesterday
came across Full Circle Magazine for the first time [1]. I also took an
age to work out how to create an account on Launchpad [2], and for a long
while I thought it was a custom form of support forum - I've still not
fully got my head around it. I only discovered the other day that there
is a Wiki page for the Ubuntu UK team [3] as well as the Ubuntu UK teams
own site [4] - which is a tad confusing (when you find one you stop
looking for the other and I'm not convinced all the info matches up).

At the moment, the attempts by Ubuntu to make things easy for people are
actually making things more difficult for me. When I went on a
navigation course many years ago I got completely lost in the attempts
to make the concepts easy, when I ignored the teacher and started
thinking mathematical vectors it all became easy. During the one exam at
the end of the first year of my degree, having struggled to comprehend
one of the lecturers for the whole year, it finally clicked when I
thought back to my A-level and I worked from that knowledge to pass the
exam - but still couldn't match that understanding with what the
lecturer had taught! Maybe it's just me ;)

[1] http://www.fullcirclemagazine.com/
[2] http://launchpad.net/
[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam
[4] http://www.ubuntu-uk.org/

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: