Re: [Hampshire] Linux battery level applets

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux battery level applets
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 01:32:00 +0100 (BST)
"Vic" <lug@???> wrote:

> > I have an old Compaq Evo N160 laptop.
>
> Aha. I've got one of those too.

and I have found a use for those 'windows' keys.

I make full use of workspaces with usually 6 in use at a time with
only one application running in each workspace. On my main system
(which has only ever had wmaker installed) I use Ctrl-Alt plus left
or right arrow to switch between workspaces.

In KDE this combination is used for something KDE specific but I
found that the 'windows' key wasn't used so set that up in
combination with the left/right arrow keys to do the switching. And
used the same combination in wmaker when I decided I really didn't
get along with the KDE interface that Sidux installed on the N160.

I once tried allowing the curser to scroll off the current workspace
into the next one but found I was switching workspaces inadvertently
too often so gave up on that.

All we need now is to find some use for that 'Internet Zone' I
haven't played with the Fn + Function Keys as yet so am not sure what
they are supposed to do.

I guess Fn+F7 & F8 could be to/from suspend mode with F4 being
sleep mode. If Fn+F9 & F10 are stop start/buttons for multimedia
what do F11 & 12 do, does Fn+F3 switch between internal and external
monitors? What controls volume or screen brilliance/contrast. Finally
what do F1(a) & F2 (?) do?

Incidentally has anyone found a user manual for the N160 that you
don't have to pay for. IBM are brilliant in this respect with User
and Technical manuals easily downloadable in pdf format for pretty
well all models of Thinkpad ever made.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package