[Hampshire] Linux battery level applets

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Linux battery level applets
OK, following along the theme of making things too easy such that the
techie can't follow, does anyone have any good references on this one.

I have an old Compaq Evo N160 laptop. When I got it there was a copy of
PCLinuxOS installed. This ran KDE and the battery level applet was fine,
it told you whether you were running on mains/charging or not and what
the current battery charge level was. When I installed Ubuntu with Gnome
I found that the battery applet failed to provide a figure for the
battery charge and only ever shows 0%. That said it clearly knows when
it is running out since it pops up the shutdown prompt when it gets too
low.

I can't imagine that these are doing anything other than simply
reporting the information provided by another utility, or reading
something from /proc, but I can't for the life of me find any
information on how to configure them, or what files are used. Does
anyone have any good pointers?

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: