Totem and mpgs Re: [Hampshire] Feisty - changing Graphics Ca…

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Totem and mpgs Re: [Hampshire] Feisty - changing Graphics Card

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr Adam J Trickett" <adam.trickett@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Feisty - changing Graphics Card

> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 at 10:09:34AM +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
>>
>> The only thing that's not working is the wretched wheel on my mouse.
>>
>> I think I'll make a very safe copy of xorg.conf before fiddling further.
>
> Good advice. Normally you need to check that you have the correct mouse
> driver set, and then you just need to set the correct Z-axis setting. You
> can probably try to reconfigure the xserver or hack the file. I don't have
> a Linux box running X infront of me now to check my config file but I'm
> sure
> someone else will beat me to too it for you.
>
> --
> Adam Trickett
> Overton, HANTS, UK

Thanks all - hacked the file and wheel working fine now. Interestingly
enough, two lines in the file ZAxis and the driver name were both wrong.

Now I have a slightly shameful question to ask (in as much as it exposes my
lack of knowledge). I just tried to play an mpg in Totem and it failed -
well just hung actually. Totem plays avis fine but not mpgs. ISTR (but I
may be wrong - sleep deprived new father!) it would play mpgs prior to all
this shenanigans with the new graphics card. Could changing the card have
caused this?

Oh and btw - any advice on getting Totem to handle mpgs? I've already
tried and realplayer can't handle them either so suspect it's a codec
somewhere.

Cheers
Rob