Re: Totem and mpgs Re: [Hampshire] Feisty - changing Graphic…

Author: Alex
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: Totem and mpgs Re: [Hampshire] Feisty - changing Graphics Card
On 10/18/07, Rob Malpass <rob@???> wrote:

> Thanks all - hacked the file and wheel working fine now. Interestingly
> enough, two lines in the file ZAxis and the driver name were both wrong.
>
> Now I have a slightly shameful question to ask (in as much as it exposes
> my
> lack of knowledge). I just tried to play an mpg in Totem and it failed -
> well just hung actually. Totem plays avis fine but not mpgs. ISTR (but
> may be wrong - sleep deprived new father!) it would play mpgs prior to all
> this shenanigans with the new graphics card. Could changing the card
> have
> caused this?
>
> Oh and btw - any advice on getting Totem to handle mpgs? I've already
> tried and realplayer can't handle them either so suspect it's a codec
> somewhere.

Automatix2 fixed this for me. I thought I had all the codecs under the sun
installed, until I tried it wih Automatix. Admittedly, it's a little shoddy
but it does work.

I also remember having to run a script under /usr/share/docs/ that
enabled/compiled/installed an extra codec or two (it was printed to stdout
when running Totem from a shell, this may be worth trying for you to see if
you get the same complaint).

HTH,

--
Alex Collins