Re: Totem and mpgs Re: [Hampshire] Feisty - changing Graphic…

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: Totem and mpgs Re: [Hampshire] Feisty - changing Graphics Card

----- Original Message -----
From: "Noble R.M." <rmn@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:32 PM

> Could changing the card have caused this?

> Oh and btw - any advice on getting Totem to handle mpgs? I've

already
> tried and realplayer can't handle them either so suspect it's a codec
> somewhere.

I doubt it's the card that's causing it. Its more likely a missing
codec. I think mpgs are handled by the w32codecs package (not available
in the repos). You can get it either through the mplayer homepage,
Automatix (not overly recommended) or the medibuntu repos.

Another option would be to use VLC media player (in the repos) which has
all the codecs built into it.

Rob

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???
19:53

Thanks to all that replied. Here (I'm afraid) comes another example of me
fixing something and not knowing how - either that or it's bad software.

The news is that Totem will play my mpg. Said mpg is a 2 hour film
(Apollo13 for anyone interested). When I opened it in Totem, it just
hung - sat there doing nothing and didn't give me a clue that it was going
to work because it said 0:00 / 0:00. Flicking over to another box to do a
spot of googling (long story - network problems too!) I left it running and
was most surprised to find (some 10 minutes later) that it started playing
the film. The only way I knew this was that I'd left the speakers on!!
Hence I must already have had the codec in - but Totem must have been busy.
Note that this isn't the case with avi files.

So all is now well in my Ubuntu world - I have a new graphics card
installed, a working wheel mouse, I can stream video from Nasa, play
tuxracer and even watch mpgs if I want. The day where I can drop Windows
altogether approaches more quickly I think.

Thank you all very much for your help.

Cheers
Rob