[Hampshire] apache2 CGI script problem

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] apache2 CGI script problem
Can anyone help with this, please?

I have been trying to set up a virtual server with webmin to run Perl
GCI scripts from my home directory. The virtual server works, up
to a point:

The browser displays directory listings

The browser displays html files

The browser displays cgi files: not what it should do, I want it to
run them and display the results.

For the directory concerned, webmin lists the directives thus:

allow from all                                /etc/apache2/apache2.conf (673)
Options ExecCGI Indexes                       /etc/apache2/apache2.conf (674)
AddHandler perl-script .cgi                   /etc/apache2/apache2.conf (675)

The system is Debian 4.0r1, I have apache2 and libapache2-mod-perl2 installed.
The cgi files are executable, work from the command line and worked under
SuSE 9.1.

Any ideas on what I might have done wrong, or not done that I should have?

Peter Alefounder.