Re: [Hampshire] apache2 CGI script problem

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] apache2 CGI script problem
Jim Kissel <jlk@???> said:
> Peter Alefounder wrote:
> > Can anyone help with this, please?
> >
> > I have been trying to set up a virtual server with webmin to run Perl
> > GCI scripts from my home directory. The virtual server works, up
> > to a point:
> >
> > The browser displays directory listings
> >
> > The browser displays html files
> >
> > The browser displays cgi files: not what it should do, I want it to
> > run them and display the results.
>
> Did cgi-bin files execute correctly before you started with virtual
> servers and webmin?

They did back when I was using SuSE 9.1. Having got Debian 4.0r1 and
webmin, I decided to try for a virtual server. Some of the files are
for a genealogical society's web site, and having a virtual server
would simplify replication of the relevant part of the site on my own
machine. However, without cgi execution, it is no use at all.

I have run into serious problems with webmin. Four times, when saving
some changes, it has grabbed all the memory, then all the swap space,
then almost frozen the desktop during several minutes of frantic hard
disc activity, then crashed the web browser. The first 3 times I was
using iceweasel, but now it has done it with Epiphany. This time I was
quick enough to get top running before the desktop froze: the culprit
was something called miniserv.pl. I tried to kill it, but by the time
the command was noticed, the process was already dead.

Enough is enough. I have removed webmin and apache2 and installed
apache. I know how to set up a directory for html and cgi files for
that, just as I had under SuSE 9.1: simple, easy to do, and best of
all, it works.

Peter Alefounder.