Re: [Hampshire] Aptitude

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Aptitude

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57013100.hantslug.org.uk.1487': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Nov 5 12:43:26 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 12:18:01PM +0000, John Lewis wrote:
> since the subject of using aptitude has come up on another thread I
> thought I'd ask if anyone has had problems using it.
>
> The reason I ask is that I installed Sidux (a debian sid +kde based
> distro) on the spare system a few weeks back and the guy who set the
> distro up seems to be a bit paranoid about using apt-get rather than
> aptitude.
>
> He evens says never upgrade from within X window and that an
> upgrade should only be done from a text console, logging in as root
> and going to init 3 before attempting to upgrade.

I've got a one-word reply to that. It starts with "B", and has 8
letters in it. Since they don't explain their paranoia, and I've never
seen any claim like that before, I'd say they're talking out of their
arses.

The only thing I've had problems with with a "live" upgrade is
Mozilla, which usually needs to be restarted.

Hugo.

  --- Prof Brain had been in search of The Truth for 25 years, with ---
             the intention of putting it under house arrest.