[Hampshire] Aptitude

Author: john lewis
To: HantsLUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Aptitude
since the subject of using aptitude has come up on another thread I
thought I'd ask if anyone has had problems using it.

The reason I ask is that I installed Sidux (a debian sid +kde based
distro) on the spare system a few weeks back and the guy who set the
distro up seems to be a bit paranoid about using apt-get rather than
aptitude.

He evens says never upgrade from within X window and that an
upgrade should only be done from a text console, logging in as root
and going to init 3 before attempting to upgrade.

http://manual.sidux.com/en/sys-admin-apt-en.htm, then scroll down to
"Upgrade of an Installed System"

I have been using aptitude rather than apt-get for several years,
almost always from an xterm of some sort and have not experienced any
problems that can be attributed to the use of aptitude. It certainly
has not broken any system as the Sidux guy says it will.

Since I am running sid on my main system and do an
'aptitude safe-upgrade' on a daily basis with downloading being done
overnight via cron-apt (set to use aptitude rather than the default
apt-get) I think I would have experienced problems by now if there
were any. Even upgrading the running kernel hasn't caused any
problems other than requiring a re-boot once aptitude has finished.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package