Re: [Hampshire] Aptitude

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Aptitude
Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 12:18:01PM +0000, John Lewis wrote:
>> since the subject of using aptitude has come up on another thread I
>> thought I'd ask if anyone has had problems using it.
>>
>> The reason I ask is that I installed Sidux (a debian sid +kde based
>> distro) on the spare system a few weeks back and the guy who set the
>> distro up seems to be a bit paranoid about using apt-get rather than
>> aptitude.
>>
>> He evens says never upgrade from within X window and that an
>> upgrade should only be done from a text console, logging in as root
>> and going to init 3 before attempting to upgrade.
>
>    I've got a one-word reply to that. It starts with "B", and has 8
> letters in it. Since they don't explain their paranoia, and I've never
> seen any claim like that before, I'd say they're talking out of their
> arses.

>    The only thing I've had problems with with a "live" upgrade is
> Mozilla, which usually needs to be restarted.

>    Hugo.

I've had very few problems like Hugo.

I once had a Debian dist-upgrade stop my X server and kill my X console
and the upgrade process. I simply resumed the upgrade from a text
console and everything was fine. I suspect it asked me whether I wanted
to restart X first and I ignored it and selected yes :-)

Simon