Re: [Hampshire] Aptitude

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Aptitude
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 at 12:18:01PM +0000, john lewis wrote:
> "Upgrade of an Installed System"
>
> I have been using aptitude rather than apt-get for several years,
> almost always from an xterm of some sort and have not experienced any
> problems that can be attributed to the use of aptitude. It certainly
> has not broken any system as the Sidux guy says it will.

Except when it wants to upgrade X or KDE, I almost always run aptitude
from an xterm. When it wants to upgrade X or KDE, I drop out of X
run the upgrade from there and restart X. KDE can get in a mess if it's core
libraries get updated while it's running.

So far I've have little or no problem from Woody, Sarge, Etch and Lenny.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Every test I write reveals a different bug I have to write
another test for.
    -- Zeno's Paradox of Unit Testing