Re: [Hampshire] Aptitude

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Aptitude
* john lewis (johnlewis@???) wrote:
<snip>
> The reason I ask is that I installed Sidux (a debian sid +kde based
> distro) on the spare system a few weeks back and the guy who set the
> distro up seems to be a bit paranoid about using apt-get rather than
> aptitude.
>
> He evens says never upgrade from within X window and that an
> upgrade should only be done from a text console, logging in as root
> and going to init 3 before attempting to upgrade.

<snip>

I may have this wrong, but I seem to remember that the predecessor
of aptitude was not very good. The recommendation at the time was to
use apt-get.

I am also sure that upgrading from a terminal was recommended so that
X could be upgraded without any danger of things falling over.

This was a number of years ago, and things have probably changed.

<Flame-Bait>
Any sensible person will now be running Ubuntu, and can simply click
on an icon to have all updates installed without having to think
about it at all :-)
</Flame-Bait>

--
Philip Stubbs